"Perfectionism is slow death." Hugh Prather

Do you believe that perfection will make you happy? Do you subject others to your ridiculous standards? Do you "do nothing" because it won't be perfect? This blog is in dedication to the ridiculous lengths I go to in search for perfection, and the insanity I encounter along the way.





Friday, July 8, 2011

Accidental Tourist

I really wish I had posted this several days ago instead of keeping it to edit.  I am up and can't sleep because I have some things on my mind.  So, just know, I have some things on my mind, and I will post again.  That being said...

I have looked at some blogs lately and I am still amazed that there are women out there who have time to live their lives AND chronicle it...daily.  Because I am a writer at heart, I keep hoping this will be the case for me, and I am sure that I COULD write everyday, but you wouldn't want to read it!  There are days when I don't want to read my life.

So what's been up lately?  I am sitting in a rocker with my elbows glued to my sides because there is not a surface in this house that I can actually put my forearms down on.  Once again I left town without cleaning house, came back to a fender bender which is now a full blown, jaws of life wreck.  My husband and my children appear oblivious.  I guess if there are crumbs on the floor, that is where they are meant to be right?  Ugh. (Since then my husband has said "Do you want Hannah to come clean?"  That was a rhetorical question, Woo Hoo!)

Where did I leave to?  I went to Youth Camp for 5 days.  We have attended this camp for 3 years, though it has been around for 20.  It was the last year, as leadership is on to other ventures which I am equally excited about.  Kari Jobe did the praise and worship,  Her name will mean nothing to you in the rock world - think...Gwen Stefani?  Young, newer to the pop world, insanely popular.  Only singing for God.  The whole week was once again, awesome.  And not in the VBS, play games and sing Kumbaya kind of way either.  This camp is faith moving, core rocking, life questing....well, you just have to see it to believe it.   To see kids won to Jesus is one thing.  I mean, it IS church camp.  But this is more than an alter call.  This is TRANSFORMATION.  We had some chains broken that week.  I have a burden for their young lives for sure.  When you come along side youth, their yoke is palpable.  I have spent 35 years in the desert with that yoke and the last 10 years clawing it off.  The stress for them is high in all areas, among their peers and plans for their future.  I realize here is where making a difference in ONE life, really matters.

Praise and Worship


Rock Island Family Church Youth and some friends!

The day I returned from camp I was signed up for a 5K Mud Run.  Yes, insanity.  I was really stoked about it until the night before.  Then by that morning I was sick.  All the negative thoughts and fears came rushing in.  I was a king crab that morning and nothing went right.  When I finally got their, much to  my relief it was a bit unorganized, so I felt right at home!  I found my peeps and that is always a huge relief, we are in it together!  There were 18 obstacles of which I did every one!  I was in better shape than I thought.  I literally thought it would take me 3 hours.  Literally.  It only took me 45 minutes!  I guess all those bootcamps payed off!  The scariest were the high climbs.  I wish I had a picture of me doing one.  I would get to the top and completely panic, closing my eyes saying "Don't look down, don't look down!", then I would fling my leg, no, what's the word?  More like...flailing!  Then come back down.  Aside from the smell of dung, even though they say it's mud it sure doesn't smell like it, I am doing it again in September!

Me, scaling hay bales!
Me, coming out of a mud pit right AFTER swimming through a pond!
I posted an album on Facebook, but these were the obstacles Wesley got pictures of.  The 2 little kids to the left on the lower part of the embankment are my kids cheering me on!  Again, if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.  Literally.  I mean, a one armed monkey, a 3 legged dog...


No comments:

Post a Comment