"Perfectionism is slow death." Hugh Prather

Do you believe that perfection will make you happy? Do you subject others to your ridiculous standards? Do you "do nothing" because it won't be perfect? This blog is in dedication to the ridiculous lengths I go to in search for perfection, and the insanity I encounter along the way.





Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Little Monkey turns 3!

Ava will be 3 in March, and I lamented and lamented over having a party.  So far we have just had a little family gathering with a hay ride and it's been so sweet.  Why do I want to mess with that?  I don't know, but let's just, ok!  So, off to the blog search for some creative ideas.

First came the invitations, I decided to stick with pre-K kids, as we have a couple of circles, and it could get out of hand really quick.  The budget is tight right now, so I am trying to keep it simple.  I got the initial idea from HERE. And it evolved from there.  This was the final product.
EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to do anything crafty, I end up having to do extra labor because I get ahead of myself and leave something out.  In this case, it was Ava!  And the fact that it is a birthday! That does not technically appear on the invitation.  But I had already printed them on the card stock, and as I have said before, the local craft store is on Jamaica time.  So, I went to the added trouble of making my own stickers.  Thankfully I had JUST bought a pack of do-it-yourself stickers and was anxious to give it a try.  So I incorporated a few elements from the invitation, and then added Ava and the fact that it was for her birthday!

Then came the idea for a banner.  I really loved this little monkey, so I will find a way to put him on each letter.

Then I started thinking about food, and again, went blog shopping.  I found the idea for an ice cream sunday party and made it banana split as monkey's and banana go together!  I won't be doing it that elaborate I can tell you that, but I like the offerings in the muffin tins, and I may make cupcakes and let them decorate with frosting and sprinkles as well.

Now for some preliminary "To Do" list.  While I have toddlers, that does not mean I am "hip" on entertaining a gaggle of them.  I am more the sit in the living room and socialize while the kids jump on the trampoline kind of mom.  So I did a little googling here for some advice.  Apparently it is better to have a bit of structure for toddlers.  I know we will have a hay ride, but a few simple games handy helps too.  So I picked Down on the Farm, where you make up a story about farm life and when kids recognize a word they make the sound, like duck or tractor etc.  I MAY need a script for this! I also chose Pair Them Up.  Here you gather items that come in 2's, like socks.  You give several "one pairs" to the child in a bag and have them look for the hidden other pair.  Whoever gets the most first wins.  But apparently with toddlers it is best if all win, so I will keep that in mind.

It was also suggested to have some soft children's music playing in the background.  I use Pandora a lot and created a Baby Einstein station that I will have playing.  And that's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment