"Perfectionism is slow death." Hugh Prather

Do you believe that perfection will make you happy? Do you subject others to your ridiculous standards? Do you "do nothing" because it won't be perfect? This blog is in dedication to the ridiculous lengths I go to in search for perfection, and the insanity I encounter along the way.





Friday, March 4, 2011

Dining with purpose

I had been looking forward to having dinner with a friend I met at a wedding in DC a couple of years ago for several weeks now.  Each friend has a unique anticipation.  This particular friend, brings instant Kingdom.  She is focused in a way that is hard to escape.  I never feel more personally aware of my need to escape than when I am with her!  And yet I am trapped by the light in her and I am drawn by His force to be present.
We talked for hours, much to our waitresses chagrin, so I tipped her extra because a still small voice told me it would bring a change in her countenance.  We talked about my kids, my marriage, ministry, my new church, our mutual friend, her minisrty, her plans to move to Europe for a year and everything leading to that decision, and my health.  As we moved through our conversation, much of what she shared with me resonated from another conversation with a friend now living in Waco.  Certain things were confirmed for me, feelings, about myself, my family and God's presence in the midst of the mundane.
Every time we speak she tells me how crazy God is for me.  It is really a very child-like way of expressing what I would normally "spiritualize", and in it's expression, I feel very alive.  I believe her.  She affirms it with her own pleasure at my company.  I believe her.
She spoke to me of things that I needed to know and hear about God's heart for me, about what He has placed in me, and what I know is ultimately my destiny...over a very long period of time, in incremental steps.  Beginning with a conversation that may start as a song, or a prayer, or a word of encouragement to the God of the universe, that I, Kris, am His daughter, and I am so glad.  He is too.  And I believe Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment